Phil counsels clients on intellectual property strategy, including securing and maintaining protection for intellectual property, litigation avoidance and licensing. A considerable amount of his practice consists of registering and enforcing copyrights, and negotiating and drafting agreements relating to the transfer and licensing of such assets. Phil also negotiates and prepares various business agreements and documents, including operating agreements, independent contractor agreements, confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements, and purchase and sale agreements.
Phil served over ten years as executive vice president and general counsel of So So Def Recordings, Inc., an Atlanta-based record company that produced several platinum and multi-platinum artists. In that capacity, Phil oversaw the business and legal affairs of So So Def, including the development of corporate strategies and policies, and the management of So So Def’s business transactions, contracts and litigation. He also drafted and negotiated recording, licensing, marketing, publishing, financing and distribution agreements.
- Member of team that took a record company from a small start-up to a multi-platinum selling record company.
- Over four decades of experience specializing in copyright and trademark law.
- Worked with numerous companies and artists to secure copyright to their creative works.
- Drafted and negotiated multiple license agreements for licensors and licensees.
- Negotiated and prepared numerous business agreements and documents.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1973
- Howard University, B.A., Business Administration, 1970
- State of Georgia
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND ACTIVITIES
- Honoree, “Celebration of Civil Rights Milestones,” The National Center for Civil and Human Rights and the State Bar of Georgia (June 2015)
- Founder and Lifetime Member, Black Entertainment & Sports Lawyers Association
- Lifetime Member, National Bar Association